Tuesday, October 28, 2014

RECOUNT TEXT



A.       RECOUNT TEXT
1.        Definition
Recount text is texts that retell a story or an experience in the past.

2.        Purpose
The purpose of recount text is to retell the experience in the past.

3.        Text Organization
1.    Orientation             : tells who was involved, what happened, where the events took place, and when it happened.
2.        Events                           :  tell what happened and in what sequence.
3.        Re-orientation      :  consists of optional-closure of events/ending.

EXAMPLE:

Orientation
I spent my holiday in Jogjakarta last year. I went to Prambanan Temple with my family early in the morning.

Events
We went to Prambanan Temple by bus and arrived at 01.00 in the afternoon. I saw many foreign tourists there. I spoke English with them. Their name are Andrew and Peter. They were very friendly. They came from New York. Prambanan Temple was crowded in holiday. We went back at 07.00 in the evening.

Reorientation
It was a very interesting holiday.

Title
My Adolescence
Orientation
I had my adolescence when I was thirteen.
Events
It started with acne that showed up on my face. It was very annoying. It lowered my self-esteem and I was embarrassed to come out of my house and play with friends.
Fortunately, my Mum gave me a good medicine. In three weeks, the acnes started to vanish although those showed some black spots in my face.
Re-orientation
That was my bad experience with adolescence, though there were still lots of good experience too.

QUESTIONS
1.        Who has adolescence according to the story above?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
2.        Why the writer felt annoying?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
3.        Who gave medicine to the writer?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
4.        How long the acnes started to vanish?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
5.        According to the story, did the writer have a bad experience?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________


TEXT
Last February, I went on a ski trip to Switzerland.

The first morning, I got into a cable car. I wanted to go to the top of the mountain and ski down. The cable car started up the mountain. I looked down, and it was so beautiful.
Then there was a terrible noise. Suddenly the car stopped. It didn’t move, and there was quiet everywhere.
It was cold, and it began to get dark and snow. I was alone for one hour, two hours. I thought, “They’ve forgotten me!” At last the car started back down the mountain. It went very fast. “Sorry, “a man said when I climbed out of the car. “We’ve never had this problem before. Please try again tomorrow. “
“He’s joking,” I thought I’ve had enough of cable cars for a lifetime,”

EXERCISE
1.        When did the writer have the experience?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
2.        Where did the writer go?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
3.        Why did the writer get into a cable car that morning?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
4.        Did something go wrong with the cable car?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
5.        Was the writer long in the stuck cable car?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
6.        Did someone help the writer?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
7.          Did the accident often happen?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
8.    What did the writer mean with the sentence “I’ve had enough of cable cars for a lifetime,”?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
9.           What is the purpose of the text?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________
10.      What tenses are mostly used in the text?
Answer  : _____________________________________________________________

WRITING
Form (Example)
Name  : ___Chilia___

No
Questions
Answers
1.
What did you do last night?
I went shopping
2.
Where did it take place?
Supermarket
3.
When did it take place?
Last night
4.
What did you do first?
In the evening, I prepared my motorcycle in the garage
5.
What did you do after that?
I rode to supermarket alone
6.
What did you do then?
When I came there I bought some vegetables and fruit.
7.
What did you finally do?
I rode my motorcycle back home
8.
What do you think of your experience?
I felt happy buying things in the supermarket because the prices are cheaper than in the traditional market.

After that, put the answers in the table below as the example.

No
Name
Chilia
Orientation
1.
What happened to him/her?
Chilia went for shopping
2.
Where? And When?
To the supermarket last night
Series of Events
3.
What did he/she do first?
At first, she prepared her motorcycle in the garage
4.
What did he/she do after that?
Then, she rode to supermarket alone. When she came there she bought some vegetables and fruit. Finally, she rode her motorcycle back home
Reorientation
5.
What did he/she think about their experience?
She felt happy buying things in the supermarket because the prices are cheaper than in the traditional market.

When finished with note-taking, you will write the draft.
Here is the example!

Title
Shopping to Supermarket
Orientation
Last night, Chilia had a motorcycle ride to the supermarket in her town, Karang Anyar.



Series of Events



First, she got into the garage to get her motorcycle ready for the ride. Then, she got her motorcycle cleaned up and heated up. After that she got on the saddle and started to run the engine and rode along the way to the supermarket carefully. When she arrived at the supermarket she bought some vegetables such as cauliflowers, lettuce, and cucumber. She also not forgot to buy her favorite fruits, durian. Finally she rode back home.
Reorientation
She felt that it was happy to go shopping in the supermarket due to the fewer prices of the goods.

SPEAKING
Let’s practice your speaking skills by performing your essay in the front of the class!

EXERCISE
Text 1
September 20, 2006.
Dear Grandpa and Grandma.
Yesterday at my school, we had International Day. We had performances, food stalls, displays, Raffle ticket draw and some of us were dressed in costumes.
We started our day off with performances but the one I liked best was the one from fourth grade. It was about games. The performance I was in was called Labamba.
Straight after performance, we had our lunch. There were food stalls. They came from Australia, Asia, Arab and Greece. Everyone had a job. I did my job after I had lunch. My job was to sell International Day books.
We had displays in the hall. The displays were good but I didn’t get to see them. The displays came from a lot of countries.
There was also a Trash & Treasure stall where they sell toys. The school got them by asking children to bring them in.
          After lunch, we had a raffle ticket draw, I didn’t win anything but a lot of people did.
Although I didn’t win anything, International Day was still fun.

Love from Helen
1.        What kind of text is it? It is a ....


A.       spoof                         
B.        procedure
C.       recount                      
D.       descriptive
E.        narrative


2.        What happened at Helen’s school ?


A.       They have a party
B.        They had a farewell party
C.       The had International Day
D.       They have a birthday party
E.        They had an inauguration party.


3.        Does the last paragraph express a personal opinion regarding the events described ?


A.       Yes, it was                 
B.        no, it doesn’t
C.       Yes, it is                     
D.       No, it isn’t
E.        Yes, it does.


4.        When did the international Day happen? It was ...


A.       Yesterday         
B.        September 20
C.       two day ago               
D.       September 21
E.        September, 19


5.        What was she like best?


A.       games                        
B.        raffle ticket draw
C.       labamba                     
D.       food stalls
E.        displays



Text 2
The Day I Became a Hero
I was as amazed as anyone else when I found Brian. I was flying low over an area of forest, miles from anywhere, when I noticed smoke.
After that I pulled round and flew in low for a better look. First, I noticed that someone had cleared an area of trees. Then I saw the camp.  I had to circle round a couple of times. After a while I was ready to fly in low and put the plane down on the lake. Next I paddled across to where Brian was standing, staring at me as if I was a ghost. Suddenly, he spoke and said his name.
You could have knocked me flat when I realized that I had found the kid!


6.           Ais        : What is the purpose of this kind of text?
Fathur   : As our teacher said the purpose is …

A.       to retell events for the purpose of informing or entertaining
B.        to present two points of view about an issue
C.       to amuse or entertain and to deal with actual or vicarious experience in different ways
D.       to describe how something accomplished through a sequence of steps
E.        to describe a peculiar person, place or things

7.           Ais        : How is the generic structure of the kind of text?
Fathur   : As our teacher explained the generic structure are….

A.       goal, events, reorientation
B.        goal, materials and equipments, resolution
C.       orientation, events, reorientation
D.       orientation, steps, goal
E.        goal, materials and equipments, steps

8.           Ais        : Who flew over the forest?
Fathur   : I think …

A.       I
B.        The writer
C.       The reader
D.       Brian
E.        The kid

9.           Ais        : What did the writer notice when he flew?

A.       Brian
B.        Forest
C.       smoke
D.       anyone
E.        anywhere

10.     I was as amazed as anyone else when I found Brian. I was flying low over an area of forest, miles from anywhere, when I noticed smoke. The underlined sentence is called …

A.       Twist
B.        Events
C.       Orientation
D.       Resolution
E.        reorientation

1 comment:

  1. Classic titanium pipes - Titi Titanium Bridges
    In titanium 3d printing ancient titanium sunglasses times, Titi Titanium was the only titanium sheet metal type of suunto 9 baro titanium pipe that was used by Chinese soldiers. They were designed titanium hair trimmer for their troops to use a traditional

    ReplyDelete